Tuesday, 5 August 2014

What I Ate Wednesday | Using Up The Fridge



Well, Wednesday's swung round again fast hasn't it?  Can someone just slow down time a little bit please? - it's going far too fast for me at the moment.
 
I had a very colourful, fruity day for this #WIAW.  The reason was, not to be healthy, but I'm on holiday tomorrow (have I mentioned how frickin excited I am?!) so todays eats (or should I say drinks) were all about using up the food I've got in.  It just so happened it was mainly fruit so that could only mean one thing for me lately - trying out new recipes with my new Breville Blend-Active.

Breakfast


The first smoothie of the day was a yummy concoction of
  • 2 bananas
  • 3 plums
  • a handful of strawberries
  • pure squeezed orange juice
  • a handful of ice cubes


I loved this one.  I thought it was going to be a bit odd with mixing bananas with the orange juice but it was delicious and very filling.

 

Lunch

 
 
In the morning I was checking over my greenhouse and found quite a few tomatoes that were ready for eating so I picked them and decided to use them in my lunch.  I couldn't think of anything majorly exciting to do with them but I had a seeded bagel or two left over, bit of cheese in my fridge so I made pizzas.  My love for pizzas is never ending!
 


Snack

 
Honestly, this was one of the most revolting things I've ever tasted and I only managed to drink half of it.  I found the recipe on Breville Creative Kitchen which has some tasty looking recipes for the blender.  It was one of the only recipes that I had all the ingredients for so I thought I'd give it a go. 
 
When I follow a recipe I never pay attention to quantities.  I always just add what I think.  On this occasion, I think I messed up the quantities.  I'll try making this smoothie again following the instructions but this time it was just all wrong.
 

Tea

I was not put off by my smoothie snack and stuck to another smoothie for tea.  This one was
  • 2 nectarines
  • 3 plums
  • 3 tablespoons of greek yoghurt
  • squirt of honey to taste
This one was delicious.  I didn't add the honey at first but after tasting it without I decided it needed a little something to sweeten it slightly. 
 
My fruit bowl is now almost empty and I'm pleased that I used most of it up before my holiday.  I hate wasting food.
 
I was surprised that I wasn't at all hungry throughout the day.  I've never tried a smoothie/juice detox before as I felt it would be impossible for me but I really enjoyed making the smoothies and might look into these detox things a bit more.
 
 
What do you do with your fruit / fridge contents before a holiday?  Do you make weird and wonderful dishes to use it up?
 
Have you tried a juice cleanse?
 
 

2 comments :

  1. bagel pizzas are the best!! I love throwing all my veggies together with rice and a scrambled egg; kind of like fried rice.

    Never tried a juice cleanse.. I don't think I could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I love smoothies and make them all the time. Thanks for sharing with us at The Southern Special.
    Dawn
    Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment... I love hearing from you xoxo