Wednesday, 14 January 2015

How To Start Scrapbooking


What better time of year to start scrapbooking.  A new year, a new start, a new hobby.  So what exactly do you need for your new venture?


There are so many suppliers of wonderful scrapbooking supplies that it's very easy to go overboard and spend a fortune on stuff you don't need.

I've started scrapbooking this year and thought I'd share my thoughts and opinions on what are the essentials to get started. Remember these are what I consider to be essentials for me - some of them may not be on your essentials list.

I decided to go down the Project Life route for my first album.  I've done quite a bit of research in to different techniques and I think Project Life is the philosophy that suits me the best.  It's all a matter of personal taste and how you envision your end product.  I want a no hassle kinda approach which is what I feel Project Life can offer.  But that's just me.  I'd definitely recommend doing a bit of research first and thinking about what you want. 

So what are my must have tools to start scrapbooking...?
 
 

The Tools

A scrapbooking album. I chose the Project Life Ring Binder Blush Edition
If Project Life is a route you want to go down you're going to need some plastic page protectors.  They come in various deigns and you simply slot your photos/cards inside.  I had a bit of trouble getting hold of these. I ended up setting myself up for a stock notification email of Project Life Page Protectors from Hobbycraft and ordering some from Amazon.com.
I class Project Life Core Cards as an essential starting off item. These are 4x3 and 6x4 cards with different designs that you can journal on or simply use as fillers in your plastic page protectors.  They're not cheap at £29.99 for a big starter set but they last a long time.



Craft knife - For cutting photos, card stock, embellishments, anything you want!

Mat - For leaning on when you're cutting.

Ruler - For keeping those edges straight!

Glue - I went for Stix 2 Anything Transfer Tape Pen as it seemed like an easy, hassle free way to glue and honestly it's amazing! So easy and convenient. I can't imagine using anything else.

Sharpies - I went for these Sharpies which includes 24 different colours.  I'm going to use them for journaling, embellishing and colouring in.  I love this set as there is pretty much every colour I could ever want.

Alphabet stamps & ink - There are lots of different alphabet stamps out there. I those an old typewriter style. I'm going to use these for stamping an odd word on to card stock or photos.

Shape cutters - I don't necessarily think of these as an essential but I wanted to be able to create some large hearts and circles so I bought these cutters.  I also like the look of photos with rounded edges so I bought a Corner Punch.

Embellishments - This is an area where I think as a beginner you can get sucked in to buying far too much.  As a beginner, you haven't worked out your own personal style of scrapbooking so I would suggest buying the bare minimum to start off with.  I went for some stick on letters, a bag of buttons and some stars and flowers.  I'd definitely recommend starting your scrapbook first and then seeing what items you feel you want.


Scrapbooking is a wonderfully, individual way to record your life and all the special moments that make your life what it is.  There are no rights or wrongs, just do whatever you like. You can fill it with only photos. You can add lots of journaling or embellishments. It's entirely up to you. Let your imagination and your creative side go and create something you can look back on in years to come a smile at all the happy memories. 
 
Do you already scrapbook? Are there any items you'd recommend to newbies?

I'd love to see your scrapbook designs so feel free to leave a comment below with a link so I can check them out.  

Happy Scrapbooking!


2 comments :

  1. I am planning to start a project. I bought an album, and started collecting items that I want to use. Except I am creating a history project - things from my past, instead of my present. And I think that's why I haven't done it yet.
    I like your pics and I'm inspired to start. I'll try to get to it this week.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that sounds really interesting! I'd been putting off starting for ages as I thought I needed all sorted of stuff but I didn't really - just the inspiration to create :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment... I love hearing from you xoxo